Scroll down for links to several different strength training routines (like the Wendler 5/3/1 & Madcow 5×5) along with spreadsheet downloads…
When you’re looking for a training program, you need to ask yourself a few questions:
- What is my ultimate outcome? Bigger? Stronger? Faster? All of these?
- Why? Are you competing? Want to look good for the girls or guys? Don’t want to be a nanna?
- How long will I give this new routine before I re-evaluate the effectiveness?
- Do I have the time needed to dedicate to this program? (Some routines are quicker than others, and some will keep you at the gym for hours).
- Can I find someone to train with using the same program?
- How will I adjust when I miss a workout? (ie. Vacations, work, sick, etc..)
There are probably a lot more questions, but those are some of the big ones. Like anything in life, if you don’t have an outcome in mind and a specific way of achieving it… annnd, a way to deal with roadblocks… Then you’re gonna fail and be all ticked off that this “strength training” thing just doesn’t work. Strength training works for everyone that actually does it on a consistent basis. You may need to go through several training routines before you find one that fits you specifically.